Saturday, February 7, 2009

Thoughts From Cyan, Maxim's Oldest Sister



When Mom and Dad were in Ukraine, I stayed at Grandpa and Grandma's house. I feel like my relationship with them and with God grew. I had the chance to spend time with Naomi and Nathan, my two youngest cousins, as well.

Just to be with Grandma and Grandpa every day seemed to be good. I have cerebral palsy and sometimes it takes longer for me to talk and to speak clearly. When I was at Grandma and Grandpa's home for seven weeks straight, Grandma asked me if I really desire people to understand me. My Aunt Shannon asked this too. Of course, I said yes. I want people to understand me clearly. So I tried to slow down and over the time, Grandma and Grandpa could understand me much better. This was a blessing that came out of having to stay with them so long.

One day, my mom and my dad emailed me from Ukraine and Dad said "read your Bible every day and pray every day". Before, I knew that God is there but I thought that my parents sort of believed in God for me. Now I know that's not right. While Mom and Dad were gone, I had to trust that they were going to be okay and I had to start believing that they were okay and I would be fine too, even though we were not together. God helped me stay peaceful about that.

I believe I have more confidence in God and a better relationship with Grandma and Grandpa now.

Having a new brother, Maxim, has been really neat. Sometimes it's hard because he does not know very much English yet, but he can tell us already if he needs to use the bathroom or he is thirsty or something like that. My favorite thing about Maxim is that certain things are difficult for both of us. Even though he is a lot younger than me, we can listen to each other and I can help him.

At first, Maxim did not like the vacuum or our dog, Sydney. Now, he often wants to know where Sydney is so he can pet her. With the vacuum, it is noisy of course, but now Maxim likes to help Mom vacuum by holding the hose down on the floor and sucking up stuff like dog hair.

Maxim looooooooves pizza. Yesterday, we went to the grocery store and Mom bought pizza. Right away, when we went to the van, Maxim wanted to know where the pizza was. Same at the house. Where's the pizza? Today, at the church potluck, he chattered away about pizza, although there was none served. I would say, without a doubt, pizza is Maxim's favorite food so far. He absolutely does not like green salad, although he is willing to eat some of the same vegies by themselves.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very insightful Cyan. I'm glad that your relationship with God grew stronger while your mom and dad were in Ukraine. It is an important lesson learned when we learn that God is with us in the midst of our hard times. You have learned that early in your young life. Blessings to you, Cyan, as you continue to be a wonderful big sister to Maxim.