Friday, January 9, 2009

Once Upon A Train

Within the next thirty minutes, a train will leave Kherson with a little package on board that we have been longing for these last two weeks. Igor called at about 6:30 this evening to let me know he finally got the passport. It will leave on the train from Khersonn at about 8:00 p.m. This morning, they had allowed him to go ahead and fax it to the Embassy and medical center here in Kiev, so I did accomplish the appointments at these places, but without a mysterious missing stamp I still don't understand, they would not allow him to actual leave their office with it. That's okay. I am just so thrilled that Maxim could still see the doctor today and I have now turned in all of our documents at the embassy. We won't fly on Sunday as hoped since the medical center won't release it's report for the embassy until we present the actual passport, and the embassy won't release the visa to us without seeing the actual passport. Yet I am sooo excited, knowing the passport is real and not a naive figment of my imagination which will never materialize. It is the perfect gift as we go into yet another Sabbath. I think I may sleep better tonight than I have in the last week.

I know Cyan and Brina and Joel and Daniel will all be disappointed that we can't get home on the weekend, but hang in there, my love and my kiddos, homecoming is just about tangible. This has been quite a road, and as a friend recently reminded me, when we are all finally together again, God is going to have to help us figure out what our new normal is. Nothing will be exactly the same as it was before this journey began, but that's okay. It's not supposed to be the same year to year for anyone. We are always supposed to be moving forward, looking for what God's will is as we press on. Daniel has told me that coming home and being home is a challenge, frankly, after such an intense last year. From his discription, it sounds something like post-partum doldrums. Our case worker talked to us about that months ago, letting us know this is a possiblity. after being so focused on something life-changing, it's occasionally hard to recalibrate life after the longed for event finally comes to pass. I don't want to believe I will feel this way, but I have to be ready. Please pray for us as we make this transition. Getting to the point of bringing Maxim home is not the end of the journey. It's the end of chapter one.

I am hoping to continue this blog , with some regularity, for the next one or two years. I have learned so much from other adoptive families online and I want to be a resource for others. It is important for families considering this same step to know that no two household experiences will be the same. It is important to be able to see how different couples handle travel, preparing siblings, working with disabilities and insurance, and just helping a child who has never known family life to mesh with everyone else. We are going to be learning and blogging at the same time, so others will hopefully see humbling mistakes as well as revelations along the way that help us weather those mistakes and become better for the experience.

Hey, I'm sounding like I'm already home. There's a hopeful streak breaking through here, no doubt.

On the Maxim front, our driver today gave him a Rubiks Cube and he has been mesmerized with it (now our hostess is trying to sort it out). I never did get passed completing three sides with those. May Maxim have greater success with it. His favorite passtimes here are doing somersaults off the couch and then being gently tossed back up to start again. When he goes to bed, he likes to have at least one book with him and the Super Man doll. When I do my exercises before bed and sometimes in the morning (push-ups, sit ups, stretching; you would be proud of me Daniel), Maxim likes to make Super Man exercise too. Sometimes Maxim tries to mimic me as well. Little does he know how much hard work and exercise he has ahead to help him with the feet and hip issues. He has great potential though. It will be worth the road ahead to see what he can accomplish in the years to come.

For those of you who remember your days of learning to drive or teaching your children to drive, maybe you have mixed feelings about that. I myself am really looking forward to helping our daughter Brina learn to drive after I am back home. Truly one of the things I can hardly wait to do. It's a milestone for her and I just see it being that helps us all see that everything is changing in our family in good and exciting ways, not just the adoption that has taken necessary center stage for awhile. Joel, can I pleeeeease go on your paper route with you? I don't care what the weather is like. Cyan, yes I would love to go grocery shopping and cook with you. Hearing the kids practice their instruments, and playing the piano myself (I have a ton of music in my head that there is no outlet for until I am home) is going to be a joy too. I am looking forward to Saturday nights at Mom and Dad Campaus. Shannon's dance classes and scrapbooking with my friends is going to be wonderful (or whatever I end up doing while I'm there). Stretching out with a good book. Etc. Just getting back into life at home. What do you enjoy in your family? What have you forgotten or neglected to do for or say to a loved one lately? Do it now. I can tell you there is nothing like lengthy time being kept away from family to make one appreciate these things and long to get home. Savor each other. Savor each other. Savor each other.

Meanwhile, blessings to you all. Shabbat Shalom.

3 comments:

Jamie and Julia Thornton said...

Dear Jenna,
We are happy to hear that everything is starting to fall into place, finally! I understand your frustration with how slow the system works here, and how it just seems to drag on and on. We have experienced it with several things here and most recently with our house construction, and I remind myself of "Ebenezers", some tangible reminders of what the Lord already accomplished for us. He has taken us this far, He will continue to provide for us. You and Maxim will be in my prayers this weekend especially, as you count down the days until you can go home. You seem to be handling everything very well, praise God for giving you strength and stamina. Blessings from Kherson!

ArtworkByRuth said...

YEAH! The end is in sight! The stamp is the final immigration approval for permanent immigration by Ukraine. Then you will get one from the US Embassy and be on your way! Keep all your adoption documents out when you get to the aiport, customs will want to see them (Helen will give you your packet before you go. Our guy wanted to see them ALL not just the one we were told to give him...I think he was nosy to see if he knew who the birth family was!) GOD BLESS YOUR FINAL WEEKEND IN UKRAINE! HUGS!

Anonymous said...

It seems like you are nearing the end of this leg of your journey! What a learning experience for all of us who have been there in prayer with you! We can't wait until you and Maxim are safely home. We have missed you! You will continue to be in our thoughts and prayers! Enjoyed seeing your children and Shannon on Wednesday and look forward to seeing you on Wednesdays too!
Pam