Saturday, January 3, 2009

Yes My Camera Still Works

I am so sorry I have not been posting pictures lately. I will do my best to get to that tomorrow. Right now it is almost time to put Mr. Maxim to bed so I'm trying to be quick on the computer.

Today, I had hope to go to a synagogue service in an area called Podil (northwest east neighborhood in town). Helen, my local translator and Sergei the driver took me there a few days ago and the peoplу were so welcoming and assured me we would be free to join the congregation today. However, I ended up not sleeping well at all last night (too restless) and with our hostess (Anya's mother Valentina) feeling poorly with a sore throat and congestion, I decided not to to wake them for help with the taxi. It would have been so interesting. The short time I was there on Tuesday, I had such an interesting feeling. Even Helen commented on the drive back to the flat that she had an overwhelming sense of peace she has not felt anywhere else, as we stood in the synagogue. Because I completely accept Christ as my Redeemer, Master and Savior, a synagogue could not be my worship home, so to speak, but I did feel like I was among brothers and sisters. Hard to explain. I have have heard different teachers in the last couple of years comment that the Jewish community has a pull to the Torah that professing Christians need to consider and embrace, and committed Christians acknowledge that Christ is indeed the Messiah, which is the piece (peace) missing in a typical Jew's life. So as I stood there the other day, I felt at home yet aware that God has not yet completed the reconciliation of all peoples, tribes and nations to Himself.

Maxim has thoroughly charmed this household. He is generally polite, when reminded, although he has stubborn moments like any small child. For example, he does not like to go to sleep if everyone else is up. The other night, I planned to shower before going to bed. Having already washed Maxim that morning, I explained to him that I would put him in bed, quickly shower, and then come to bed myself. He sleeps on a fold out chair by himself and I pull out the couch in the same room. Maxim did not like this idea at all. It was quite a test for both of us. I want Maxim to learn that he is not King of the World, that he cannot expect to direct what everyone else does, and I especially want him to trust that if Daniel or I or one of his siblings say we are going somewhere but we'll be right back, he can trust us. Maxim does not understand this yet, so he began to cry. I decided to let it go this time. I climbed into bed and showered the next morning while Maxim still slept. When he awoke and saw my wet head, he figured out what had happened and was again unhappy. The good thing, however, is that for the most part when I correct him, he gets over these attitude issues pretty quickly. I don't think that holding a grudge will be a problem for him in the long run.

I am really looking forward to getting him into some good therapy when we are home. The family we are staying with recognizes issues with Maxim's speech that Daniel and I could not as easily discern with the language barrier.
Also, there is a lot ahead as far as surgery on feet, possibly on knees as well, and some dental work. Maxim is pretty tough though. Daniel and I have seen enough of his personality and persistence to believe that he can handle some of these treatments pretty soon after we settle back at home. I feel bad that Maxim is so tiny for his age (basically half the size he should be at six years old) but at the same time, I think this will be to his advantage as treatments begin. We have prayed countless times for God to touch every inch of Maxim with healing and strength so he can reach his greatest physical potential. I believe that will happen.

Tomorrow, we are going to take advantage of the time we have here and just go exploring. I figured out where some great markets and book shops are, within easy walking distance, so I'm hoping to find some nice but relatively light-weight gifts to bring home.

Without going into more detail than I should, I am really frustrated with the translation process of our final documents. Basically, there are Ukrainian documents, such as the new birth certificate with Maxim's new name, which have to be turned in at the Embassy, along with English translations. I desire, and have requested several times, that these be translated as quickly as possible so I can turn them in early, even before Maxim's passport is ready. By doing this, I can avoid multiple trips to the Embassy after the passport is ready. I have explained this multiple times and either my reasoning is lost in translation or they are just determined to do things as they believe necessary. I know that whether they fulfill my request or do it their way, Maxim and I will eventually step onto a plane and fly home. I am just thinking that getting everything that is ready turned in early will allow me the possiblity of getting home just alittle sooner. Hence, my goal on Monday is to go to the Embassy first thing and turn in what has been completed and also take other originals to another translation service next to the Embassy to see if they can expedite the other translations. Daniel, my dear husband, if this sounds sensible to you, please let me know. If you think I'm just being frantic, help me chill out. I just have a gut feeling that I should turn in as much as I possibly can before the passport arrives. I will save everything else I am thinking about the tale-end Kiev aspect of this journey for another time and another forum. "Enough said".

Meanwhile, Kiev is snowy but bright, and Maxim and I are going out tomorrow to just get some fresh air and explore.
The little stroller we found at the market place in Tsyurupinsk (after leaving our first on a train) is holding up remarkably well considering the slushy sidewalks and Maxim seems to enjoy the rides overall.

Blessings to everyone in the coming week.

3 comments:

ArtworkByRuth said...

This is a perfectly reasonable request for our thinking, however, I have found that "planning ahead" is not a Ukrainian way of life since so many variables and unknowns happen there! However, after being with Igor who does have some skill at planning, it makes the lack there of even that much more frustrating!
On a side note about bed time. Z still does not like to go to be alone. Think about it, he has NEVER been left alone, even for a minute. We enjoy quiet and privacy, they enjoy others and noise! Z still has a hard time going about a task if left alone in a room!

Anonymous said...

Jenna,
Hope things are going well for you today. You and Maxim are in my thoughts and prayers. I was wondering, if I emailed you through your email account, would you be able to receive the email? I have something I would like to tell you. God bless you!
Melissa Miller

Tami said...

It seems like a reasonable request, but as you know, Ukranians work in their own timetable.
I wouldn't worry about turning in the documents early. If you get it done, fine. If not, it shouldn't slow you down any (unless the embassy has told you otherwise.)
When I brought Maddie home last February, we had our physical at 8 a.m., waited until 10 a.m. for the signed documents from the doctor...barely made it to the embassy before their cutoff...but 40 minutes later we walked out with Maddie's visa. The embassy staff understands your need to get home. They'll help you as much as humanly possible.
Hang in there...you're almost home! :)