Monday, January 5, 2009

Paper Boots

This morning, I became the owner of "paper boots", translated for a fee from Russian to English.

You see, during this trip, Daniel and I have admired the nice leather boots that most of the women wear, and Daniel suggested that I should purchase a pair as a practical souvenir. However, what I ended up with this morning is not crafted of fine leather, does not have a finish that will last for years to come, and actually will not even fit comfortably on my feet. Yet the value of these "paper boots" will extend far past what I could have worn on my feet.

I had to make a choice this morning between the boots I would have imagined and the "boots" that I believe are more important at the moment, for about the same price. Based on my last post, you can probably figure out what I did and what my "paper boots" really are. They will be ready for me on Thursday morning. Praise the Heavenly Father.
Peace of mind and His blessing through others around me means much more to me than other material items at this point. May I not only have wisdom in the choices I make in order to finish the process here, but also not cause offense in the process. I really want to leave Ukraine having been a light and example of patience overall, although I have not always felt it. I do realize that the staff here is doing the job as they know how to, and the time and methods are not always of their choosing.

Sorry no pictures today either. Daniel, did you accidentally take the connection wire home with you? Anya does not have a port that is the right size to directly insert our memory card.

Anyway, I will keep clicking away each day, and post more photos as soon as I can. I got a great shot last night of Maxim enjoying a tin of crackers in the kitchen. Let me tell you, this boy eats with great pleasure. So many things are new to him that all of it is an adventure. It is fun to see him experience things for the first time. I do realize it is going to take some special focus to help him understand balance and moderation (don't we all need reminders in this?) but we can also learn from how he enjoys "the little things" we take for granted. To him, a ritz cracker with a bit of cheese is a morsel of gourmet delight.

Hope the first days of 2009 find all of you knowing you are blessed, no matter what. I heard prayer requests today from people who have lost loved ones, are suffering serious health problems, worried about finances and shaky employment situations, etc. These are real things that test us and weathering them well requires continually going to the Throne of the Most High for healing, wisdom and peace. This last Fall, I really thought I was about to lose two relatives in a very short time. My father and my sister-in-law. In my prayer life, I had to lift them up and also make a conscious decision at the Throne that I will praise God and trust Him no matter what. Neither of those relatives is without illness at the moment, but in the last couple of months, both have experienced His miraculous refreshing in different ways that can't be denied, so I am convinced again that no matter what is going on around us, His mercy is unfailing, He loves us and He is the Giver of life and every good thing. Every day, it really is possible to find things to be sincerely thankful for. I am thankful for knowledge of the One True God Who loves me, family and friends, technology to stay in touch, a terrific new addition to our household, hosts right now who extend themselves in hospitality in a way I am humbly learning from, good health, and the list goes on. If I get on my knees to do nothing but thank God for every way He has blessed my life, I can be there for a very long time. Not because of me but because of Who He is. Isn't that amazing to think about?

Daniel says that now that he is home, some of the frustrations he felt during the time in Ukraine have already faded and he wonders now why certain things even bothered him at all. Like the pain of childbirth, he says I will get home and life will go on and I will not even think so much of the "birthing" of Maxim. I will just enjoy what a neat little boy he is, marvel at the things he accomplishes, pray for him, snuggle and encourage him, and all the other things a mom treasures with her children. The things required to welcome him into our family will seem too small a price for such a blessing.

Blessings on your week.

2 comments:

Tami said...

Those paper boots will be a great investment that will last a lifetime. Wise decision.
Your husband is right. The pain involved in your Ukranian adoption will fade with time. I am amazed when I read my posts from our trip last year just how miserable I sounded at times...and how I can't remember those feelings now. God is good.

ArtworkByRuth said...

It will take time, though you will never totally forget your struggle. Never doubt at this moment the decisions you make that give you a sense of peace or understanding. You have been away from your "normal" for so long it each day some how can feel longer and heavier! Praying for you still! You will be amazed at how well Maxim transitions once you are home, this time is valuable for him!
Galations 6:9 "And let us not grow weary while doing good, for i due season we shall reap if we do not lose heart."