Saturday, November 22, 2008

Mmmm Mmmm Good

No real news today, although having the letter in hand is great. Igor has a train ticket for Monday night, planning to head for Kiev with all the signed and notarized local papers. Please pray that all the signatures will truly be completed on Monday. Once he gets the papers to Kiev and State Department of Adoption okays them, we're ready for our date with the local judge.
The sooner we get this, the sooner we receive the final decree and can officially welcome Maxim into our family.

Last night, I tried my hand at some home made borscht. I have to admit I did buy a couple of packets at the store meant for making a type of Cup 'O' Borscht. I put these in a pot with 4 cups of water, a 3" diameter beet chopped up, half a yellow onion diced, 4 small chopped potatoes, a tablespoon of butter and a little poultry seasoning. It didn't look very impressive (very deep red) but we realllllllly enjoyed it.

Today for lunch, we had some fresh bread from the next door market and some spreadable cheese from the Netherlands. Nice and quick and so delicious. I had also discovered some little desserts. Chocolate covered layers of crisp and nuts in a 1" by 3" bar. Tasty. A good treat for Sabbath. This meal cost approximately $1.50 for the two of us. I haven't calculated the borscht but it would be inexpensive and very healthy. The food in the markets is generally around half the price of U.S. stores, unless you're looking for a specialty item or toiletries. Electronics are more expensive than in the States, as well as clothing and fuel.

Today it is raining, so quite dreary, but not very cold. I wore my "new" coat and had to take it off and trade it for my original later in the day as I was too hot.

Daniel and I took the bus by ourselves to the orphanage. It's important for us to be comfortable doing this as Igor prepares to leave for Kiev. It went fine although we waited for awhile to be confident that the bus we were choosing was correct. A trip to the orphanage and back costs 8 Rivna per person (about $1.70).

Basically, another good day, with high hopes for things to move forward in the coming week.

2 comments:

ddaguilar said...

So, I think I'm addicted to reading your blog. It's the best soap opera I've ever read/seen! Hee, hee. We're thinking and praying for you daily. I too had my moments of embarrassment with my Spanish in Mexico. We miss you in many ways. Nobody does the overheads like Daniel. :) Many blessings to you both.

Delanie & David

Anonymous said...

I have been following your journey and praying for you all. Thank you for sharing this story with us. Every day I check the news. God bless you both and ALL of your children!

Kathleen Slakes