Tuesday, December 30, 2008

I Have Had It!

Okay, I admit I purposely used a play on words for the title today.  Gotcha!  Please know that I just meant I have already had chicken pox and I am sooo relieved.  My mom emailed to let me know I need  not worry.  Yippeee.  Maxim is fine too, as far as I understand, so our travel should not be affected by this.

Today is my birthday and John and Martita have invited Maxim and me to join them for dinner this evening.  It will be a treat to see them again.  They too are waiting for their new childs passport and anticipating Martita having to stay alone with their son in Kiev while John heads home with the other kids.  I am sorry they may not travel home all together, but it is nice to know a friend is close by.

During our stay here in Ukraine, we have had the interesting blessing of little or no access to processed foods and frequent lack of time to stop and eat during the day.  Hence, Daniel emailed me last night that he now knows he lost 20 pounds during our trip!  I know I have lost weight as well, since all of my pants are desperately crying out for a belt.  Natives meeting me must wonder what the deal is with my baggy look.  I feel veryfrumpy.  In the Ukraine, it is the practice to dress up even to simply  go to the market.  When you go out, you wear your best.  I think it is an admirable thing to care about being presentable, neatly put together, when going out.  However, the American way when travelling, at least in the Campau household, is to pack both lightly and practically.  No frills.  Usually a very good approach, but I admit I am looking for to getting home and pulling something different out of the closet every day.  I will feel like a queen after living out a suitcase for over two months.

Today, after three oclock, Igor will go to the passport office in Kherson, and again ask on our behalf for speed in processing the passport for Maxim.  I consider him a pushy tool in Gods hand.  We sometimes have a hard time relating to his personality but there is no doubt Igor works hard, cares about the children, loses sleep over different cases and bumps along the way, and wants to see each adoption to its successful finish. Whatever happens, God gets all the honor and glory, yet we will always be thankful for the huge part Igor has played. He has admitted he has been to church only twice in his life and does not get religion at all.  We hope that as things unfold in our adoption journey and in the other families Igor works with, that he will begin to recognize the work of God in all of it, and himself as a tool.  What a beautiful thing it would be for Igor to become a yielded child of God.  He would be an even more effective advocate for the orphans of Ukraine.  May each orphanage and staff encountering adoptive families see true love and pure motives in each household represented.  May they have no reason to doubt these children will be treasured, nurtured, truly loved members of their new families.  May all nations turn to the One True God, obediently loving/caring for their children and widows and oppressed, and then experience the abundance He desires to pour out on His people.  

A few days ago, I was chatting with our hostess as she prepared borscht in her kitchen.  I had invented my own version in Kherson, but wanted to see hers.  It is said that borscht is really something different in each kitchen.  As she worked, she invited us to share the finished product.  As we must often do, I had to tactfully thank her for the offer while also explaining that in our family, we avoid pork products, shellfish and other such things prohibited in the scriptures.  I had noticed a large bowl of what appeared to be seasoned ground pork on the counter and thought she might be adding some to the borscht.  Not wanting to offend, of course, but needing to be clear about our convictions.  Anyway, she was very friendly about it and quick to explain that the meat I was looking at was a mixture of ground chicken and beef (I later realized she meant lamb for the latter) and then proceded to ask questions about our faith.  As we talked, her daughter translated everything I said.  In the end, the daughter said she admired our faith and that she does believe in God, but He is not for everyday in her life.  Only for special occasions.  I have pondered her comment ever since that evening.  It made me think of how some people have what they call everyday dishes and then others that are only set out for special events.  For this young lady, God is not everyday dishes.  I want Him to be in my life.  I think Daniel and I have learning something more about that during the adoption.  Without looking at everything as being served and sifted through the plate of Gods hand, our focus gets quickly shaken and our anxiety increases.  When we again set our reliance on His hand, peace returns and things that would ordinarily trouble us are actually remarkably easy to weather.  I am so glad for the reminder here.

May the passport be complete today or tomorrow and on its way to us in Kiev.  I crave moving forward.

Blessings to all.

5 comments:

Conethia and Jim Bob said...

Happy Birthday!!

Tami said...

So glad to hear that you've had the chicken pox. One less thing to worry about. ;)
What an interesting thought about an 'everyday' God. That's an awesome thought. Thanks for sharing it.

ArtworkByRuth said...

Happy Birthday! The lamb/chicken borscht sounds wonderful!
Don't worry about Igor, he may as well give up with all of us praying for him! It's just a matter of time!

Anonymous said...

A blast from the past! It's Shelley (& Dave). Found out about this whole thing from the Curds - are special friends with their son & his family. We have 3 great-nephews (whose mother is mentally challenged) and have already adopted the first two. We have custody of and are going to adopt the third one as well. They are currently 11, 7 and 18 months. I always wanted several kids but NEVER thought I'd have a new-born at age 49! God certainly works in mysterious ways! I hope things go well for the remainder of your process! A belated happy birthday & Happy New Year!

Anonymous said...

Hi there! We haven't met, but, my cousin is Pam Meadows. =) My husband (& 4 yr old son) are in the process of adopting from Russia. Pam told me about your blog, so, wanted to check it out!=)