Sunday, December 14, 2008

When He Knows We're Really Family

It is interesting as we get to know Maxim during this waiting period, to see how limited his understanding is of family. We take our concept of family so for granted. Slowly, he will begin to trust certain things. That a daddy and mommy love each other, enjoying conversation and laughter and kisses. That a daddy and mommy like to help, hold and encourage each of their children, with a smattering of necessary correction from time to time. That a daddy or mommy might have to leave for a little while on occasion but they look forward to and plan on coming back. That a daddy and mommy will not disappear when their child goes to sleep. That having a daddy and mommy means a little one doesn't have to rock himself to sleep any more, and he won't get in trouble for crying kind of loud when he's sad. A loving daddy and mommy means that when juice is accidentally spilled, no one will start yelling and belittling.

Brothers and sisters mean having someone to share one's history with from now on. Brothers and sisters mean not having to work alone when more hands are needed. Brothers and sisters mean sharing, looking out for each other, speaking encouragement to each other, praying for each other.

What an amazing design God has for the family. All of it meant to "flesh out" our relationship with Him. Our household is imperfect for sure. I would do many things different as a mom, if given the chance to go back. But God is merciful to teach us, let us know when we're off track. In fact, He pursues us relentlessly to get our attention, correct us and welcome us back to the Narrow Way. Because He has allowed us three wonderful teenagers (I will be a blubbering idiot in the airport when I see them again) and now this new little son, I know that God's vision for our family is much wider than the little box I have sometimes imagined. That is so exciting and encouraging. I can't wait to see how things unfold.

Daniel will fly home on the 28th so he can take care of work responsibilities he's been trusted with. He is very talented at what he does, and I'm sure they'll really appreciate him being back. Maxim and I will go up to Kiev with Daniel and I will finish the last appointments there on my own (with the help of our translator and driver we had earlier in the trip; it will be nice to see them again). Maxim and I have tickets now for the 6th of January. I would rather be home sooner and maybe we can still grab a standby earlier if things wrap up fast enough, but we had to be realistic in reserving tickets.

Every minute is one more closer to getting home. I am hanging on to this and to Philippians 4:6-8. I will hang on to on-going prayer, with thanksgiving, instead of anxiety. I will acknowledge God in all we are doing, and trust Him to direct our path.

2 comments:

Jackie & Martin said...

I'm glad your addressing how we take the essence of what family is for granted and how impotant it is that we are able trust the people in our family. It is one of the most important gifts the Lord has given us for sure. I just started reading, "Attaching in Adoption" by Deborah D. Gray, and I had no that our "templates" for attachment are strongly developed as a baby. The book is supposed to offer parents many ways to develop those attachments with adopted children. I think it is reassuring that Maxim was raised in an orphange and not in a home that he he had to be taken from. I am sure that he at least has a bit of advantage in that his basic needs were met, and it seems that he was even a favored child in the orphanage. I am sure that there will be many attachment challenges to come, but we know how effectivley God can work on our hearts and through us on other's hearts. Our prayers are with you.

Anonymous said...

Hi Daniel and Jenna,
Could you use a van with a wheel chair lift? 96 Dodge 1/2 ton, full size van. Set to pick it up today. Can put at your home or your parents. I've never blogged before so hope this is ok.
grace be with you, givenreceive